Position Details: Application Designer
Position: Application Designer
Location: Hartford, CT (not remote option)
Length: 8 months
Type of Contract: Temporary to hire (only EADs, GCs and Citizens)
Location: Hartford, CT
Ideal candidates should have not more than 10 years of IT experiencen and 5 - 8 years of relevant experience. This is a Contract to hire and consultants who are authorized to work for any employer (EADs, GCs and Citizens) can apply for this position.
The Strategic Platform requires Application Designers to provide leadership and technical expertise on the program. The Strategic Platform has a number of key initiatives in progress that require strong Application Designers to support an aggressive timeline of projects including Auto State Rollouts and Auto Subsequent Transactions. These initiatives are designed to support the strategic business objectives long-term.
Application Designer Profile Details:
· Work with architects and business on early project vision
· Work with architects to provide initial high-level estimates for projects
· Work with business analysts and business customers to review/refine project requirements
· Perform initial high-level design for all application components
· Document high-level design using appropriate design artifacts
· Communicate high-level design to technical leads, development team, and executive management
· Review low-level design and code produced by development team to insure adherence to design, as well as coding standards. Responsible for managing static-code analysis results for the project.
· Maintain vision/strategy for evolving applications over time. Communicate to stakeholders and project teams.
· Define, communicate, and help train project teams on application standards (coding standards, technology choices), best practices, and appropriate tools.
· Understand methodologies (development approach, modeling approach, documentation approach), and identify when to apply them to projects.
· Ensure application designs meet well-documented, clear SLA and requirements goals (ex. performance, scalability, availability).
· Ensure technical excellence and skills of development staff through training, evaluation, and continued development.
· Collaborate with architects on design decisions, standards, methodologies, and execution.
Critical (candidates must have all of these skills)
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Ability to work effectively in a highly-collaborative team environment
· Very strong knowledge and experience with object-oriented design principles and practices
· Very strong knowledge and experience with at least one of the following object-oriented programming languages (in order of preference): C#, Java
· Very strong knowledge and experience with unit testing and unit-test strategies
· Solid experience with SQL and relational databases (prefer Oracle)
· Solid experience with XML
· Solid experience with web-service development and service-oriented architecture
· Knowledge of design patterns
· Knowledge of good design principles
· Experience with a source-code repository (prefer Subversion)
· Strong commitment to high quality work and timely deliverables
· Strong technical, analysis, debugging and problem-resolution skills
· Ability to independently keep abreast of new technology
· Ability to understand and maintain others code
· Ability and willingness to quickly learn new applications and technologies
· Ability to handle multiple priorities at same time
· Ability to work under pressure
· Willingness to work in very close proximity with other highly talented technical people
Desirable Skills (candidates with the following skills are a better fit for the project)
· Knowledge/experience with an Agile methodology like Extreme Programming
· Experience doing test-driven development
· Experience doing pair programming
· Experience with the following unit-testing tools: NUnit/JUnit, TypeMock, JsUnit, YUI Test, Selenium, NCover
· Experience with aspect-oriented programming and dependency injection: Microsoft Unity
· Experience with a build scripting language like NAnt/Ant
· Experience with a continuous-integration server like CruiseControl
· Experience with code-analysis tools like FxCop, CAST
· Experience with acceptance testing using tools like FitNesse, FIT, FitLibrary
· Knowledge of code smells and refactoring patterns
· Knowledge/experience with Agile Modeling and/or the Agile Unified Process
· Insurance background
· Background in Personal Lines Homeowners and Automobile business
· Background in policy rating